Tuesday 23 November 2010

This will be missed..

The end of exchange is closing incredibly fast. Today, only four weeks left before flying to Bali. I'm mentally starting to prepare myself leaving Korea. Even though I've been occasionally missing Finland so bad that it made me sick, I'm starting to feel a little sad leaving my other home. During the vacation in Tokyo, I felt homesick to Korea :) It seems like a good time to think about the stuff that I love about this country..

The dearest thing to me has been Korean style of going out. Best nights have consisted of several rounds of different places, dishes and drinks. Actually, last weekend we had four rounds of Korean night out: we started with a new generation style of Korean barbeque with shots helping to digest the meat. Second round led us to a cosy makkolli (Korean traditional rice wine) place with different kind of pancakes, which are by the way salty here. Third round consisted of soju, beer (also them mixed: somek) and mussels. On the fourth round we found our selves in a Japanese style place having soup and kiwi soju. And all of course seasoned with first class company.

I was quite shocked in Tokyo when I noticed that stores were closing in the evening: Korea never closes down! Well, never is slight exaggeration but close to truth. Clothing, cosmetic etc. stores stay open till late night and in some areas u can do shopping after leaving a club at am hours. Finding local food during night time is also much easier. Actually, I saw an article in Helsingin Sanomat about this Korean phenomenon of night time life.

An important social thing here is taking care of others: So many times I've found juice, coffee and fruit from my desk given by my lovely roomie. And altogether there is a culture of giving small gifts, which I love :)

And of course, since I'm a sweet tooth: in every corner there are coffee shops and bakeries where u can get delicious muffins,bagels, cookies etc. And the most important thing: cakes are so pretty, good tasting and cheap :) I'm gonna be in trouble in Finland when graving a hot latte and my chocolate muffin in the middle of nowhere..

I will probably get back to this same subject when the reality hits me in January. But for now, I'm going to enjoy my last weeks in this cute and tasty country with no hurry and start living the Christmas fuss that is about to start. And of course, finish my classes..

H

No comments:

Post a Comment